Wednesday, April 23, 2014

stateside missionary disappointment.


Once upon a time, I had a tiny fear of being called to serve my mission "stateside".

And then I was called stateside!

And it was actually okay. The more I learned about my mission, the more excited I became.


Most people are wonderful and SO EXCITED for me!

But sometimes people say dumb things like 


"Well that's disappointing.."
"I would've thought you'd go somewhere like blank or blank." 
[insert generic 'it'll be okay'/giving-condolences type statement]


Once one of my friends told me she theorized only weird sisters serve stateside. (Ouch, right!) (And very wrong, to be clear.)



Sometimes I get pouty and feel sad I am going to the at-one-time-dreaded stateside mission. 

And then I feel guilty and wonder if I'm a bad person because I feel that way. 

I kind of feel exactly like this...




 It's okay to feel disappointed. 

It's okay to cry.

It's okay to pray to Heavenly Father and tell Him exactly how you feel.

Just remember, though, that there's a much bigger picture to your mission than the state and city you read in your letter. Also remember that someday you will feel foolish for crying over it.

But we all need a good pity party sometimes.


Jacob 4:8 Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways. And no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren, despise not the revelations of God.



Helaman 5:47 Peace, peace be unto you, because of your faith in My Beloved, who was from the foundation of the world.




  1. 1. It may not be on the mountain height
    Or over the stormy sea,
    It may not be at the battle's front
    My Lord will have need of me.
    But if, by a still, small voice he calls
    To paths that I do not know,
    I'll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
    I'll go where you want me to go.
  2. (Chorus)
    I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord,
    Over mountain or plain or sea;
    I'll say what you want me to say, dear Lord;
    I'll be what you want me to be.


But, really, I AM SO EXCITED TO GO TO THE CALIFORNIA L.A. MISSION!


ADDED 4/24: FLIPSIDE // STATESIDE MISSIONARY DISAPPOINTMENT 



4 comments:

  1. Once upon a time I got to serve a mission in Utah. I hated it. capital H. I remember the day after opening my mission call and just crying my eyes out in the middle of sam's club. I was pissed about my mission call. I WANTED FREAKING AFRICA. Okay, let me make this story shorter. my mission was the greatest experience of my life. I miss it on the daily. You have been chosen to serve where you are call because there is someone who needs you. You will be that person's missionary. I could not imagine what my life would have been like if i had not met the people that I had met. They were my people. you have no idea how much you will love the people you serve. There are no words. I bet is .0000010 of what Heavenly Father fills for you. The strongest love I ever felt for someone was when I was on my mission.

    "It may not be o'er the mountain height or over the stormy sea. It may not be at the battle's front, my Lord will have need of me. But if by a still small voice He calls, to paths that I do not know, I'll answer dear Lord with my hand in thine, I'll go where you want me to go. I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord. O'er mountain, or plane or sea. I'll say what you want me to say dear Lord, I'll be what you want me to be.
    Perhaps there are loving words that Jesus would have me speak. There may be some in the paths of sin some wanderer whom I should seek. Oh Savior, if thou wilt be my Guide, tho dark and rugged the way. My voice shall echo thy message sweet, I'll say what you want me to say. I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, o'er mountain or plane or sea. I'll say what you want me to say dear Lord, I'll be what you want me to be. There's surely somewhere a lowly place in earth's harvest fields so white, where I may labor in life's short day for Jesus the Crucified. So trusting my all to thy tender care, and knowing thou lovest me, I'll do thy will with a heart sincere.
    I'll be what you want me to be."

    I promise you will love your mission more than you could ever dream of. I PROMISE.
    this was such a long comment. my bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * i got called to serve a mission in Utah. At first I hated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing, Ashley! I think I actually found your current blog through your old mission blog. Your words were/are inspiring and comforting, especially as I am preparing to serve a mission of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any questions, just let me know :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...